Sunday, August 8, 2010

Announcing the 1-2 Challenge


Last week, I mentioned that I would tell you about a new blog project. I'm happy to report that it is now underway!

It's called the 1-2 Challenge, and here's why:

What is the 1-2 Challenge?


It's simple: 1 ingredient, 2 ways.


This is a personal challenge that I have created to get myself to the farmer's market on a regular basis and back in my kitchen making food with locally grown produce. I will feature one item from the farmer's market each week and make two recipes out of it.


That doesn't sound very hard. Why are you doing this?


After two years of subscribing to a CSA, I decided not to sign up for one this summer expecting to buy most of my produce at local farmer's markets. But without the bi-weekly ritual of picking up my box of produce and deciding what to make or risk food rotting before my eyes, my plan hasn't gone as well as hoped. My excuses are just that: the heat, wedding planning, some late nights at work, and a little laziness to boot. Like many of you out there probably experience too, life gets in the way of cooking sometimes.


Plus, there is only so much I can say about my Topsy Turvy tomato plant, which I have posted about half a dozen times this summer.


It's doing well. The end.


Are you only going to buy one thing at the farmer's market each week?


No way, and I might incorporate other farmer's market items in the recipes too. But for now, I am only going to commit to blogging about one ingredient a week.


If I find that I am more than up to the challenge, I might adjust the formula to 1-3, 2-2, or 2-3. Really, the possibilities are endless.


How will I know if you follow through?


Check my progress right here or follow me on Twitter @woodentableblog!


Are the white peaches pictured above your first ingredient?


No.


I bought these peaches at the farmer's market yesterday, and they are sweet and mild. I loved their fuzzy texture, and the small donut shape makes eating a cinch. I can actually bite into them without peach juice dribbling down my chin. I wanted to give a shout out with a photo, but I selected a different item to feature this week, and my kitchen is a lovely mess from cooking today!


So check back Wednesday to find out what it is and what I made.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails